Separate and distinct from nearby Raven Rock the name of Hepstock appears on an old map of Ausewell Wood and it is mentioned in a number of papers that refer to the copper and iron mining history of the area, the earliest by Amery in 1925.
Since then the name has gradually disappeared, but the rocks here are substantial, even if most are now shrouded in trees and vegetation.
Whereas Ausewell Wood could previously be accessed by applying for a walking permit, the woodland has now been sold. The National Trust own most of it and The Woodland Trust are currently raising money to pay a third party who purchased on their behalf. Whether this will mean the tors here can be accessed in the future remains to be seen.