TORS OF DARTMOOR

a database of both lesser & well known rocks and outcrops
Search Map East Dartmoor About The Team Contact

Virtuous Lady Crags

There are at least three large non-granite crags lining the hillside south of Double Waters, the place where the Walkham and Tavy Rivers meet to continue their journey towards the sea at Plymouth Sound. The east crag, the largest at SX 47577 69868, presents as a huge bulk rising about 8 metres in height. Almost devoid of vegetation, the wall of rock is easily found as it sits adjacent to the track between Buck Tor and Tavy Cottage, as well as being sited opposite the clam where Goat Rock is seen across the river.

The middle crag, more vegetated but still impressive, presents as a long ridge of rock stretching part way up the hillside at SX 47504 69878. One of the features noticed here is an almost cuboid top on the east side (shown below) which is clearly visible from the track.

The final crag, the west at SX 47327 69804, is a huge bulk, sitting high above the river immediately to the east of Tavy Cottage and the Virtuous Lady Copper Mine, utilised from 1558 to 1807, and 1830 to the 1870s when it reached its demise (information taken from Helen Harris' 'The Industrial Archaeology of Dartmoor'). The name of Virtuous Lady Crags was suggested by Peter Freeman whilst Double Waters Crags is also a possibility.


This outcrop is accessible to the public.
Enjoy, but please behave responsibly and always follow the Countryside Code.
Virtuous Lady Crags
Grid Ref:
SX 475 698
Height:
50m
Parish:
Buckland Monachorum
Tor Classification:
Valley Side
Access:
Public
Rock Type:
Sedimentary
Credit:
Peter Freeman
Paul Buck
Tim Jenkinson
Reference:
Tors of Dartmoor
Helen Harris: The Industrial Archaeology of Dartmoor (1968)