Cleave Rocks, West Cleave Rocks, West Cleave Tor, The Coronet, Coronet of Rocks
This is a beautiful non-granite tor overlooking the West Okement and a ten minute walk from Belstone. Whilst Crossing called it 'Cleave Tor', Hemery later called it West Cleave Rocks. Another name, The 'Coronet', comes from Ward Lock and Co Ltd (1939): A Pictorial and Descriptive Guide to Dartmoor 9th edition revised.
Crossing states that; "From the village a lane leads past the entrance to the old vicarage to the commons on the west side of the parish, and following this we shall, on entering upon them, find ourselves near a tor placed on the brow of the hill. This is Cleave Tor, or to give it the name by which it is generally referred to in the neighbourhood, Cleave Rocks, and is unlike any other tor on Dartmoor."
"Instead of rising from the turf, as most tors do, or jutting abruptly from the hillside, Cleave Tor runs straight out from the surface of the ground, and only attains height in consequence of the hill sinking very rapidly from that point. But Cleave Tor is not of granite; hence this dissimilarity to the other tors on the Moor."