Brattor, Brai Tor, Braitor, Bray Tor, Braytor, Widgery Tor, Widgery Cross, Lur Tor, Broad Tor, Bra Tor
One cannot fail to spot this granite tor when driving along the A386 road because of Widgery Cross; a large monument commemorating Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee in 1887. Awarded many names in the past including 'Widgery Tor', as written on the plaque at Black Rock below.
Known as 'Brat Tor', this was never once the case according to Hemery; "The pronunciation is 'Bray', and the colloquial 'Braytor' has led OS into using the absurd misnomer 'Brat Tor'. 'Brai' is given by the Tithes Map of 1839, by Besley's Map, by Rowe, Page, Crossing and Spencer (Maps)."
The selling point of this tor is clearly the cross but there is interest surrounding the well jointed outcrops; the views are pleasing and, to the east beside Doe Tor Brook, is another ruin similar to that of Bleak House near Green Tor. It is known as the Wheal Frederick Mine, and apparently opened in c1845, but it soon closed in c1887. What we can see today is the old building being reclaimed by nature; its solitary position in this barren valley showing the demand for tin ore in this time.