Cripdon Down North Tor
Cripdon Down Tors, Glissamore Rocks
There are four distinct outcrops scattered across Cripdon Down, the most prominent of which form two obvious clusters, named the North and South sections respectively. On the northern part of the down, some 400 metres away from the southern group, one outcrop has a flat logan rock, whilst the other downhill to the east rises to 2 metres on its east side with a resilient hawthorn growing from the cracked granite.
Eric Hemery (1983) mentions the rock piles here (High Dartmoor, p.724) but fails to give them an identity. However, Tim Jenkinson later remedied this in Dartmoor Magazine Spring edition 2000, providing the collective name for the group, his article concluding with; "These four wide spreading outcrops do not appear to have acquired a name apart from perhaps the obvious Cripdon Down Tors."
But the tor may possess another name. In 'The Field, The Country Gentleman's Newspaper' from March 19th 1904 we see a mention to 'Glissamore Rocks'; "The hounds found almost at once near Bowerman's Nose, ran over the side of Hayne Down to Swallaton Gate and across the valley to Hound Tor. Here our fox pointed for the Rubble Heap but was headed in Holwell Valley by some men at work and retraced his steps to Bowerman's Nose where was again headed by foot people at Glissamore Rocks. The time to our first check was thirty-four minutes. After a long cast Mr Rendell hit off the line again under Easdon Down but being now far ahead the fox was left for another day." It seems entirely plausible that 'Glissamore' is a variation of 'Blissmoor' as displayed on 19th and 20th Century OS maps, a name given to a house that sits at the northern foot of the Down and is still marked on modern maps. The rocks above Blissmoor are visible from the road to the east.