Hilly Piece Rocks
When travelling along the public bridlepath that passes Lydgate House Hotel, you may notice, across the East Dart River that rages below, a set of three crags, on private land, peeking through the trees. These are collectively known as 'Jester Crags' after the name was introduced in a Dartmoor News article in 2020, by Paul Rendell crediting Steve Grigg, stating; "The outcrop could be known as Jester Crags as it is within land belonging to a property called Jester; on the other hand, on the Lydford Tithe map dated 1839 the field where the rocks are situated was called Hilly Piece and was owned by Robert Hanniford and James Cleave, so an alternative name could be Hilly Piece Rocks."
The two northern outcrops appear flat and block-like, being located amid a scene of fern, bramble and tree coverage. The southerly crag is a little detached from the other two, although it is perhaps the grandest of the group: a tall granite cliff sitting precariously on the valley side.
Near the southern outcrop, a clam bridge at SX 6522 7856 connects the two banks of the river, which are Open Access. Essentially it consists of wooden planks, supported by a granite boulder in the middle of the river. No doubt this would have been a more traditional style in days gone by, the wooden railing since replaced by wire.