a database of both lesser & well-known rocks and outcrops
Search Map East Dartmoor Geology About The Team Contact

Lord Mayor's Castle

It seems that William Crossing (1912) was the first to put this name in print "On the opposite bank of the Tavy, on the slope of Knoll, a hill sometimes called Outer Standon, is a large mound, apparently thrown up by the tinners. At one time they were busy here, as the extensive remains of their workings attest. The moormen do not however, connect this mound with them, but regard it as having formed a kind of stronghold and give to it the name of Lord Mayor's Castle."

Indeed the 'castle' is a curious sight a peculiar overgrown conical mound that is set on the south side of the river below the nearby Knoll. Peppered with low granite rocks it appears as a small buried tor with a distinctive rock face and two large rowan trees sprouting from the upper parts. It certainly occupies a spectacular setting being just a few metres from the water's edge and from the summit it looks out towards the massive sprawl of broken granite that is scattered across the slopes of Watern Oke to the north.

Very much a lesser known part of the dramatic Tavy Cleave, when viewed from above Lord Mayor's Castle takes on a distinctly ornamental charm, with its delightful mix of rock and vegetation.

Lord Mayor's Castle
The map above is not a navigation tool and we recommend that the grid reference shown below is used in conjunction with an Ordnance Survey map and that training in its use with a compass is advised.
Grid Ref:
SX 5615 8362
Peter Tavy
Tor Classification:
Rock Type:
William Crossing
William Crossing: Guide to Dartmoor (1912)

Please Support Us

We are proud to see the names of lesser known tors are now being used more commonly on other websites and whilst this is to be encouraged we do request that, should you wish to use the information on this page, you provide a backlink to the website as reference, by copying the relevant address: