Wood Hill Higher Tor
When the Wood Hill Tors were first discovered by Tim Jenkinson in March 2016 access to the rocks was extremely difficult, as they were cloaked in a canopy of suffocating conifer trees. However, extensive clearing of the wood in 2018 meant that a subsequent visit by the Tors of Dartmoor Team in October 2019 gave the opportunity to see both tors in daylight and whilst reaching them was a little easier the route was still hampered by tripping over the debris of discarded branches and amputated tree trunks.
The higher tor is appreciably less impressive than its nearby counterpart on account of the excavations in the hillside undertaken with the opening of Westcott Quarry in 1909. Along with those at Trusham and Bridford, Westcott Quarry formed part of what was known as the Devon Basalt and Granite Company Limited founded by J Harvey (Paddy) Dickson.
It ripped the heart out of the tor here and all we have left is a few scruffy embedded outcrops with a lonely jagged overhang perched at the very edge of the precipice into the long-abandoned workings. To compensate there are currently some lovely views over the treetops to the west.