Yeo Wood Tor
Some 200 metres or so to the south of the delightful Burrator Waterfall on Sheepstor Brook is a small yet compact tor remnant consisting essentially of a single squat outcrop reaching around 3 metres in height on its west side where it has a distinctive fissured rock race. Attractively draped in vegetation the outcrop also has on its north side a toppled summit block that retains a worn oval rock basin. From here whilst there are some scattered rocks through the trees there is nothing of any note which seems rather unusual and given the outcrop's presence in the wood more might have been expected below.
Set on a small spur overlooking the steepening slope in Yeo Wood (marked as Burrator Wood by OS) the tor is easily reached from the footpath to Marchants Cross from Sheepstor village (or vice versa). The woodland here and elsewhere to the north is renowned for an impressive bluebell display in the month of May and a short walk downhill from the tor brings the visitor to the waterfall where on this side of the brook are the remains of an old pumping mechanism, with pipes and a hut like building still extant.
Discovered by Paul Rendell several years ago the name of Yeo Wood linked to the nearby Farm and House, appears on the 1840 Tithe Map for Sheepstor and therefore seems appropriate for this isolated rockpile, this older name being used to in order distinguish it from the various similarly named Burrator features of the area.